Shaping up and transfer medium

Many people have asked me about my shaped quilts.

My shaped quilts have been inspired from my shaped canvas' I used to make for painting on. I wanted to incorporate dimension, form and stitch so manipulating canvas was the only way.
Here are some examples of my painted works from several years ago.....





I have an ongoing series of work called Juvenile Delinquents. They are the abstracted form of the juvenile lancewood leaf- which  in a quirk of nature grows downwards until they reach maturity (usually above what may have been moa eating height) when their leaves  change and get fatter and shorter ( don't we all with age!)  and point upwards. The fact they grow downwards away from light is quite delinquent. So many of these works  focused on delinquent behaviour  (growing up, teens, misuse of resources and environment etc)


SO when I stopped painting and started quilting I continued my shape and form techniques into my quilting. I use wire form for some of my layered quilts to give dimension too.

Here are Juvenile Delinquent #12 Can we return to the sounds of 1820? (private collection in USA) sounds

and Juvenile Delinquent # 13 the Road to extinction?
This one explores Sir Walter Buller ( who loved birds to death!) and bird silhouettes with newspaper articles from the past about these birds etc. Its pretty specialt o me as it was lost in the CBD in CHCH during the earthquake for a year. Everyone from the exhibition got their work back after 6 months, but mine  did not get found. On the eve of the 1 year anniversary a Council worker found it!

These were handpainted and then sewn, turned inside out and then quilted. You can make any shape you like. I also pop a middle channel to represent the stem of the leaf and insert a piece of dowel. For exhibitions I have cut these dowel and popped on pieces of cut lightweight aluminium pipe onto joins so it  posts small and can be assembled like a tent pole!





For the Sir Walter Buller Quilt I handpainted  the base before doing reverse applique. The bird fabric was produced using a transfer technique. There are many on the market- I love Lesley Riley's paper too..but this method works for computers and is archival and should not fade - better for art quilts as it is stiff.
You paint some fabric with the Golden digital ground and let it dry - this makes it stiff. Cut it to printer paper size and print through a printer. Once done I add a top coat of this gel medium to protect it from UV light. This method works with ink or toner prints.

So this "transfer technique" is something I'll be working with for a project to transfer family photos for a quilting project.



Comments